Watch this video for a comprehensive overview of how to log an observation.
Observations can only be added from brightwheel’s mobile app. To log an observation, follow the below steps:
- Go to “Add Activity” from the home screen, tap “Observation”
- Select students for which you’d like to add an observation & tap “Next”
- Once you’ve selected your preferred framework, click the back arrow in the upper left corner of your screen to continue logging an observation. Note: If you need to toggle between frameworks (for example, you usually use CA Learning Standards, but occasionally you need to switch to DRDP), you can do so by tapping the gear icon in the upper right corner and selecting the preferred framework for that observation. Note that this setting change will only apply to the device you are using at the time.
- Select the milestone with which you’d like to affiliate the observation. Note: you can search by keyword or filter by milestone domain & category.
- Once you’ve selected the milestone, mark the child’s progress by tapping the “+” sign under “progress." Note: If you wish to log observations for multiple observations all at once, simply tap the “+” again.
- Once complete, tap “record progress”
The observation defaults to the Staff Only view when logging, but you are welcome to uncheck the “staff only” box if you’d like the observation to be visible to parents.
You can also add notes and/or photos/videos to the observation if you’d like before tapping “log observation” which will make this observation available on the student’s activity feed.